Family Owned & Operated Since 2002
Posted by: Chris Laney on February 12, 2019
According to the National Fire Protection Association, a fire department in the USA responds to a house fire call every 24 seconds. While many of these fires are minor and able to be contained relatively easily, fire can spread quickly and become unmanageable in a matter of seconds.
The best way to keep your home safe from a fire is to prevent a fire before it happens. Here are five easy ways to protect your home from a house fire.
Did you know that most fires start in the kitchen due to unattended cooking sessions? While you are in your kitchen preparing a meal (especially if you're using a stove top), it is imperative that you keep an eye on your pots and pans!
People tend to get distracted and, before they realize it, their dinner has gone up in flames. Keep your undivided attention on the pan to avoid an fire causing accidents.
In the winter months the increase of portable space heaters increases, and while they may keep you warm for a night, they are the second most common cause of house fires.
A space heater must be placed in a spot away from other objects. The size of the space heater will depend on the clearance area, but most experts agree that 3 feet is sufficient. A 3 foot area around the space heater should be clear of furniture, curtains, blankets, pet beds… anything that could potentially become a hazard.
Cigarettes and cigars don't just cause health issues, but they are in the top five causes of house fires as well. Fires commonly occur when cigarette butts are left smoldering in an ashtray, or are forgotten about without being extinguished completely.
The best way to ensure a fire will not start from a stray cigarette butt is to smoke outside. This removes the threat completely from your home and the flammable materials inside. Having a designated fire proof container to cigarette butts is another great way to keep fire from spreading. Extinguishing cigarette butts with water is an additional way to ensure they are no longer smoldering before throwing them away.
Old or faulty wiring is another common cause of house fires. Cords can become frayed and cracked, and a single spark can land on a flammable surface and start a house fire.
Stay safe and check all the cords i your house. Look at all electronics, power strips, extension cords, etc. If there is an old cord that looks worn out, replace it immediately. While you are checking on cords, it is also important to verify that you are not overloading a single outlet with too many plugs!
Since they are open flames, candles are one of the most common causes of home fires. Candles can be dangerous, and it is important to keep an eye on them at all times when they are lit.
Keep candles away from blowing curtains, or other flammable materials. Candle wicks should be trimmed to a ¼ of an inch to keep the flames small and manageable, and always extinguish the candles when you leave the room.
In addition to all the steps above, it is extremely important to have working smoke detectors in each room of your home. Check the batteries of the smoke detectors every 6 months, and replace as necessary.
All the preventative measures in the world may not be keep fire away from your home. If a fire does strike, once you and your family are safe and ready to get back to everyday life, Water Out is here for you.
Our team of experts are ready in an emergency 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Water Out Fire Restoration team will work quickly to remove all debris, repair any damage, and even work with your insurance company to handle all the details.
Call us for more information, of visit our website for more information.
Tags: Fire Damage Restoration
October 1, 2023
September 15, 2023
September 1, 2023